2016年2月17日水曜日

Ramadhan

This is my personal Ramadhan experience as a Muslim living in Japan.
Before it's too far, I would like to give a short explanation about Ramadhan.
Ramadhan is the 9th month of Islamic Calendar, known as the month of Fasting, lasts for 29-30 days based on the sighting of the Crescent moon.
Fasting is obligatory for adult Muslims and included in the five pillars of Islam.
The Muslims refrain from eating foods, drinking, and smoking as well as engaging in Sexual activities with one's spouse from before dawn (Suhoor) until after sunset (Ifthar). This year Ramadhan lasted from June 18th to July 18th, and Ramdhan in Japan was almost 17 hours long. When I was in my country, Ramdhan lasted 13,5 hours. Of course it was a big challenge for me personally, since Ramdhan usually is shorter hours. So, here are my personal Ramadhan experiences in Japan.
I live in Sendai, one of the best cities to live in Japan, Ramadhan this year in Sendai was very fun, because Alhamdullilah, Sendai relatively had cooler temperature during Ramadhan and there are many many many Muslims communities in Sendai that provided foods and drinks for ifthar. And did you know that ICCS (Islamic Cultural Center of Sendai) provided foods for fasting people EVERYDAY for about 29 days during Ifthar and Suhoor time (May ALLAH blessed all the people who provided the foods Ameen). However, there were some issues that I would like to tell you, and maybe most of Muslims in Sendai or even Japan have experienced this kind of situation.
1. "Are You Ok?" questions and "This, have a drink, no one knows" offers:
Summer in Japan just started, though it’s a little bit tough to be honest, I am happy because Ramadhan is the month of worth waiting. But many Japanese are not yet familiar with this kind of ritual, so they always ask me whether if I am ok or not. They are too worried that at some point of time I might faint.
Every year, every time I should convince them that I AM OK and I AM SO HAPPY inside as the matter of fact. One day one of my friends brought me a bottle of water and secretly put it in my hand and said, "Here, have a drink, no one knows" I laughed that time and told her that no one knows but GOD knows. She is a very nice lady and so happy that she paid attention to me.
2. The ice cream and other cold drinks temptations:
In my country, of course not so many people openly eat or drink in front of people who fast. However in Japan, I should prepare myself for the hot summer days in which people just drink cold beverages and eat ice creams right in front of my face, but this is not anyone's fault. I understand that I live in Japan and Ramadhan thing is unfamiliar for Japanese. So I still have to respect Japanese culture.
Through this Ramadhan, I felt the brotherhood and sisterhood of the Miyagi Muslims community. I was so happy to gather every week to try new foods.
Alhamdullilah, Ramadhan is always be my favorite month. Goodbye Ramadhan, see you again next year. Ameen
Actually there are many more that I really want to tell you about, but I have a seminar today, so see you again later...
Here are some of pictures I took from ICCS food menu for IFTHAR...




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿